Saturday 1 November 2014

It's a bit like getting a hole in one!

No I haven't taken up golf and got lucky but did end up near a golf club on Friday and getting very lucky. Hunley Hall to be exact in Cleveland for the Mega rare Eastern Crowned Warbler (ECW)

News came through on Thursday afternoon that the UK's third record had been found in a plantation near the golf club. So guess what, I set my alarm for 3.30 am the following morning and arrived on site at 6.30. No tooth brush required this time as I could easily get there and back in a day.

I stood with several others where the bird was last seen the evening before, but after two hours I decided to go where the bird was first located about a quarter of a mile away. Still no sign of it there so I walked back just to be told it had been seen where I had just come from! Panic and I ended up running yes running. It was an odd sensation with my eyeballs jigging up and down in a way I had not felt since 1982. Once I had got my breath back and established I wasn't having a heart attack I ventured into the plantation to be met by 150 other folk all fighting for a position to catch a glimpse of the ECW high up in the tree canopy.

The next two hours were extremely frustrating as the bird hopped around from tree to tree and often went missing for long periods. However just as I was about to leave it appeared out of a low level bush and click click I had the photograph below which shows all the ID features of this truly Mega rare bird.
So it was off to the 19th hole for a celebration coffee and chip butty thanks to Hunley Hall Golf Club who allowed me in despite muddy boots and an unshaven look.

No comments:

Post a Comment